Thursday, September 27, 2012

Stand Out In A Crowd. (Art journaling)

The past week I have been retreating to the kitchen table for some tunes and art journaling, making new pages and finishing up some stated a few weeks ago. when the inspiration hits its best not to stop it.

These pages were solely inspired by the photo on the left. I had taken it while on vacation in NYC last year. I took it looking from the window of our hotel and the lights inside combined with the city lights gave such a fun effect. I started the paged with a gradient of acrylic paint and while it was still wet I crumpled up some news paper and pressed it on to the pages and the news paper took off some of the paint giving it a bit of a tie dye look. I love the effect it gives and can't wait to use it again. I also added lots of paint splatters and drawn stars to the background. I used some grey paper and cut out a city skyline and added a dark paint wash to it;s edges. I also added some confetti garland That Jenny of Every Day Is A Holiday showed us how to make last week.I used it on the building and it reminds me of  strung Christmas lights.

The quote I added is from a song from one of my favorite bands The Weepies "Living in Twilight". I'm always listening to music while doing my art and it's often where I find inspiration. Wether it be for the art itself or the quotes I add to it.




These pages just started with stamping my owl stamp repeatedly on some argyle paper. It was originally one sheet that I eventually cut into two. The repetition of the owls just made me think of Andy Warhol and pop art, so that's the direction I went in.  I had cut out the flowery word pop from a magazine a while back and this seemed the perfect time to use it. It was a bit flimsy so I backed it with construction paper and cut it out with an exacto knife, which left the perfect cutout stencil. I used the cutout stencil and lightly taped it down and splattered lots of paint inside. I was left with a realy fun word POP. I couldn't go without paint splatters but wanted to keep the pages clean and sharp and pop art-esque. I took one owl from each side and made it stand out by darkening one and whiting out the other. lastly i took some embellished mailing labels and added inspirational words. "Don't be afraid to stand out in a crowd".



Lastly, my photos came in and I finished my Black & White challenge pages. A few weeks ago Jenny & Aaron challenged everyone to go with a mainly Black & whit theme for some pages with very little use of color. This was a bit of a hard one for me, I LOVE me some color. I started off on the left with sheet music news print and some flowered scrapbook paper that I muted with a white wash. On the right I started by painting a light mint green and then gluing strips of the old school printer paper edges down for some texture and pattern. I made quadtych of scroll work out of blank mailing labels. I really do love blank mailing labels they make great customizable stickers. The picture is my 3 little babies FeFe, Goken & Marvin. Every so often I will get a quick snap shot of them cuddling. It melts my heart. It was about time they made it into the art journal.

http://everyday-is-a-holiday.blogspot.com/
Don't forget you can join the class at any time and share your creations. That's always my favorite part seeing what everyone else came up with that week.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your journal, it's so pretty and inspiring :)

xo

Kirstin @ Hello Kirsti said...

Beautiful journaling and adorable kitties!

Teddi said...

nikki, i like seeing all 3 of your art journal pages! they show your range of style and creativity. :) i haven't done the black and white page yet, because i love color too.

NykkeyB said...

Thank you everyone! I love sharing my work with everyone and seeing what you all have been creating.

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a very nice post. In thought I want to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and precise effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and not at all seem to get one thing done.

Anonymous said...

Hi there I am so delighted I found your blog, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Digg for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent work.

NykkeyB said...

Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed the post and Blog. Hope to here from you soon.